Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Some weird things about Texas

So here's a few things I've noticed, just to educate the world on Texas...

First thing we noticed that was weird is that the stop lights are sideways. So red is on the left, yellow in the middle, green on the right. Very weird. Trips me out everytime I see them.

Texas is a DOG LOVING state. Like everyone has dogs here! And you can bring them into places, and everyone loves them, almost all housing accepts pets, its very convenient and a little odd to me.

There are police officers in almost every store, just roaming the isles. I think its supposed to make me feel safe, but it has the opposite effect for me. I figure, why do they need them?

Okay, so this is weird. There are advertisements for this Sarah Marshall movie everywhere that are just crazy. The first day we were here, we started seeing these advertisements that say for example: "You do look fat in those jeans." or "I'm so over you." or "I hate you Sarah Marshall." And then it references this blog, www.ihatesarahmarshall.com So Brad and I thought that it was this freaky guy that was obsessed with his ex-girlfriend. Brad and I decided we needed to just tell him what's up and that he needs to get over his girlfriend because he's probably spending millions on these billboards and advertisements about his ex-girlfriend, then we did a little more searching and realized its an advertisement for a movie coming out about this guy that can't get over his ex. So Brad and I felt very relieved that there wasn't actually a freak out there spending millions on an ex-girlfriend, because that's just nuts. Anyway, so everywhere we go, we see these random hate messages, and I just felt so bad for Sarah Marshall. It's still weird!

One thing that I think is kinda odd, and everyone knows what I'm saying, is that TONS of people have bumper stickers and vinyl decals on their trucks and cars that devote their love for Texas. I just don't understand this. I'm debating if I should join in the party and get one of my own just to find out why its such a big thing here, but don't you think if you live here that in and of itself states you love the state? Why does everyone feel they have to tell the world they love it? Just wondering. Maybe I'll join the crowd and I'll let you know what the big fuss is all about.

Now this is probably not that weird to the rest of the world, but to people that live in Utah, and even in Vancouver, WA, this is kinda weird. They drink wine and beer like its water! They don't offer any other drinks at restaurants besides like the Coca-Cola options and then wines and beers. NO STRAWBERRY LEMONADE! Can you believe that? It's rather frustrating to be honest.

4 comments:

Andi Sherwood said...

How fun for you! You have to keep us updated with the weird things you see/learn/find/experience.

Enjoy the sun!

:)

Olivia Heilmann said...

Ditto!!

Jeni said...

After living there for a while you will understand Texas pride. Even though the deer are as big as dogs(everything is biger and better, right?), the chiggars lice & ticks are miserable, & the humidity in the summer is unbearable, there is no describing Texas pride until you experience it. I hope you fall in love with Texas! I just know you guys will find great success there!

Esther Ogden said...

Ang, you are just adorable. Even though I didn't get to see you all the time when you lived in UT, I feel so far away just knowing that I CAN'T just stop by on the chance I drive to UT. I miss you...=(