Thursday, August 14, 2008

My baby is going to school


We've been trying to be a little more creative in our parenting with Tori as she's journeying into a new phase of her life. She's about to start Kindergarten here in a week and a half and I'm just amazed at how ready she is, and how ready I'm not. I thought I'd include this picture of Tori's writing on a post it note for me after a long day of her bad choices and hard consequences. Talk about a little girl who is thinking a lot. The note says, "How can I help to be a better kid?" Can you believe that? Yesterday after I grounded her for throwing Daddy's shoe at our cat five times, she wrote in her journal, "I wish my Mom was a better Mom." Can you believe that? Initial thought was, "Well, that was rude." And then I realized, Wow, she is communicating really well, telling me how she feels. So we had the opportunity to talk about good parents and bad parents and how if I were a bad mom, I wouldn't do anything, and give her no consequences. I gave her the opportunity to choose between consequences, 1.) Get grounded for the "whole day" (about 6 hours in her room with books) or 2.) Give the cat away. Her response: "Can I come out for dinner?" Poor girl. Some might think it was a harsh punishment, but she had been warned before, and she knew better, and she did it with a horrible look on her face (I was spying on her, so I saw), and I was worried for the life of our cat! Anyway, so she is definitely growing up, I'm well pleased. My baby is growing up!

5 comments:

Jeni said...

It's a hard club to be in, the "My First Child Is Going To Kindergarden Club." I think we will both like it, but honestly I never thought this day would come! BTW, good job being that mom needs to be "better." ;) I guess it means you are doing your job!

Love Ya!

Olivia Heilmann said...

That is GREAT parenting!!! Good job! I commend you. :)

I know what you mean...Julian is starting 1st grade. He turns 6 today. This is so weird. This is the first time he will be gone ALL DAY. And Tristan will be in Preschool. Yikes!

Emily Marie said...

That is so excellent that she is already doing that kind of writing. That is what they learn in Kindergarten. Anyway, dito on what everyone else says. Good example to me! :)

Bayles Clan said...

oh angel i bet you are the best mom and you girls are dolls with great smiles! i hope all is going well for you. i can't believe you have a kid that is starting school-i thought it was weird when i took my kid to the dentist. you and brad are doing a great job! take care

Morgan Family said...

Wow she is growing up so fast. I am impressed with her communication. Way to be a good mom. I am sure it was hard to discipline her like that.