Monday, August 25, 2008

She's all growed up.








So this morning Brad woke up at 6:30 to go to Walgreens to get Tori's school supplies. Can you believe I forgot to get those last week? And of course I remembered on Sunday, the one day I can't go. Shame on me.

So we got there on time this morning with school supplies in tow. Tori looked adorable of course, and the uniforms could not hide the fact that she was the ONLY white child in the school. She made a friend instantly named Brooklyn, who was the only African American child in her class, so they had something in common, they were a little different from everyone else, but Tori held her hand and put her arm around her friend as Brooklyn cried, it was the cutest thing. Tori was so brave, and so was I :) So she was off into the world of never ending schooling.

They have half day this week and then next week they go to full-day, so at 11:45 I left to go pick her up, I turned the key to my Honda and low and behold, the battery was dead. So of course like any normal mother of a new kindergartner, I FREAKED OUT! I panicked, I called Brad and freaked out at him, flagged down a stranger to help me open my hood cause I couldn't unlatch it, Called the school, told them I'd be late, called Brad to have him come pick her up, in the mean time I found our battery charger, so I charged the battery after help from Brad because I pushed the air button not the battery switch (I was wondering why it was making that air sound), and finally, the car worked... phew! So I rushed over to her school as fast as I could, I was about 10 minutes late, I know, I'm a horrid mother. I was so upset. How could this happen on her first day of school?! Well, by the time I got there there were still other kids there, and she was happy as can be, with a filled backpack and a bag full of her school supplies. Her teacher explained to me, "Tori said that her Daddy bought these special for her and that she wouldn't let us keep them here at the school, she had to bring them home with her because they are special." I was kind of surprised at that and realized, how is she supposed to know what these are for, and that they are supposed to stay at school. So we got to bring them all back home and the teacher said she'd work her way into leaving things at school and Tori frankly said, "Tomorrow... I will leave my ziplocs." I laughed as I'm sure you are too. I thought that was adorable. Tori's words as we walked out of the gymnasium this afternoon were classic, "That was GREAT!"

Then we got in the car and I tried to explain to her about the whole school supplies situation, that we have to leave them at school, that's what they are for, etc.etc, so she go upset and she's been mad all day ever since. She did get sent to a different class though with the only White teacher there and Tori said there are 10 boys and 5 girls in her class. So it sounds like her class is very small and I met her teacher for a brief second, although I didn't know at the time it was her teacher, but she seemed very nice. But her friend Brooklyn is not in her class which I'm pretty sad about.

She enjoyed eating at the cafeteria, and she said kinda confused, "They took LOTS of potty breaks." She said that all the kids were mean to her. I didn't think that was true so I asked for more details, "What did they say, how were they mean to you?" She said, "Well, this one girl pushed this other girl to get to the sink and I told her she should use this other sink that was free and that she shouldn't push. *pause* And she didn't listen to me!" I said, "So she didn't push you or say anything mean to you?" Tori: "No, but she wouldn't listen."

So there you go. She enjoyed herself, and looking at these pictures, its amazing how much she looks like Brad, huh?

9 comments:

Olivia Heilmann said...

OH MY CUTE!!! Uniforms! Tights! Teachers! School Supplies! New friends!! Dead batteries! Sounds like a memorable day for both of you. And...YES....she looks SO much like Brad. What Beautiful girls. You should be so proud. What a great post.

Hammy said...

She looks adorable. Good luck to both of you.

Beverly Jensen said...

Tori is so grown up - her ability to communicate with enthusiasm or a pout are pretty dramatic. I think she takes after her mom!
love, Angel's mom

Jeni said...

What cute pictures!!! Thanks for the bow one. ;)
It sounds like it will work out, huh? I would freak out if I were late as well; it's a mom thing.
Sure miss you!

Lots of Love,
Jeni

Andi Sherwood said...

Very cute. :) I'm sure she'll make lots of friends and love it. She is such a social girl. :) I am so happy for you!

Love you lots!

:)

The Original TomKat said...

Okay- your girls are the cutest! I love Abby's haircut!

Sally Barrington said...

so so so much like brad!!!

Morgan Family said...

Wow she is so cute. I can't believe how grown up they both look. I am glad to hear that overall school went well.

Esther Ogden said...

Wow, she does look a lot like Brad! I love Abbie's hair...now I see why you like that style so well! I love you!

=)